This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A multi-centred randomised perineal massage in labour trial (PMLT) was conducted in which participating midwives randomised eligible women in the second stage of labour. A survey of these midwives was conducted after completion of the PMLT, but before results had been analysed and presented.
The aim of the study was to seek from midwives, following the PMLT, their reasons why some eligible women were not randomly allocated to a group; why others did not receive care as allocated and the midwives' views about the massage, including whether significant trial results would influence their clinical practice. (This paper presents the results of this survey.)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women and Birth
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chalmers I. Enkin M. Keirse M.J.N.C. Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth. Oxford University Press, Oxford1989
- Effective care in Midwifery: Research, the professions and the public.12th Dame Rosalind Paget Memorial Lecture. Midwives Chronicle & Nursing Notes. 1993; (January 1993): 3-13
- (Issue 2. Update Software, 2000 (acessed August 2000))Episiotomy for vaginal birth.in: Cochrane Collaboration Cochrane Library. 2000
- Enkin M. Keirse M.J.N.C. Neilson J. Crowther C. Duley L. Hodnett E. Hofmeyr J. A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth. Oxford University Press, Oxford2000
- (Available in the Cochrane Library, The Cochrane Collaboration, Issue 3 Oxford: Update Software; Updated quarterly)The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.2000
- Epi Info Version 5: A word processing, database and statistics program for epidemiology on microcomputers.LIDS Incorporated, Stone Mountain, Georgia1990
- The Ipswich Childbirth Study. 1. A randomised evaluation of two stage postpartum perineal repair leaving skin unsutured.British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 1998; 105: 435-440
- Perineal massage in the second stage of labour: A multicentred randomised trial.in: Abstract 43. The Perinatal Society of Australian and New Zealand Third Annual Congress, March 21–24, 1999, Melbourne1999
- ACMI Bachelor of Midwifery Education Task Force - Report.Australian College of Midwives Inc Journal. 2000; 13: 22-23
- A randomised controlled trial of care of the perineum during the second stage of normal labour.British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 1998; 105: 1262-1272
- Maynard A. Chalmers I. Non-random Reflections of Health Services Research: On the 25th anniversary of Archie Cochrance's Effectiveness and Efficiency. BMJ Publishing Group, London1997
- A Guide to the development and implementation of clinical practice guidelines. NHMRC Quality of Care and Health Outcomes Committee.Australian Government Publishing Service, 1999
- Changes over time in the knowledge base of practising internists.JAMA. 1991; 266: 1103-1107
- South Australian midwifery training requirements 1997–2001.South Australian Health Commission, South Australia1997
- Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM.Churchill Livingstone, New York1997
- Clinical determinants of the decision to treat primary hypertension.Clinical Research. 1977; 24: 648
- West Berkshire perineal management trial.British Medical Journal. 1984; 289: 587-590
- Care of the perineum in the second stage of labour: a study of views and practices of Australian midwives.Midwifery. 1997; 13: 100-104
Stamp GE, Kruzins G, Crowther CA. Perineal massage in labour for preventing perineal trauma during birth: A randomised trial. Submitted for publication.
© 2001 Australian College of Midwives. Published by Elsevier Inc.