Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women and Birth
beyondblue: the national depression initiative. National Action Plan for Perinatal Mental Health 2008. http://wwwbeyondblueorgau/indexaspx?link_id=4665&tmp=FileDownload&fid=1057 [accessed September 2009].
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Antenatal and postnatal mental health: The NICE guidelines on clinical management and service guidance CG45. National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health The British Psychological Society & The Royal College of Psychiatrists; 2007.
Austin M-P, Highet N, and the Guideline Expert Advisory Committee. The beyondblue clinical practice guidelines for depression and related disorders — anxiety, bipolar disorder and puerperal psychosis — in the perinatal period. A guideline for primary care health professionals providing care in the perinatal period. Melbourne: beyondblue: the national depression initiative; 2011.
- Maternal mortality and psychiatric morbidity in the perinatal period: challenges and opportunities for prevention in the Australian setting.Medical Journal of Australia. 2007; 186: 364-367
- Perinatal psychiatric disorders: a leading cause of maternal morbidity and mortality.British Medical Bulletin. 2003; 67: 219-229
- Antenatal anxiety predicts child behavioural/emotional problems independently of postnatal depression.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2002; 41: 1470-1477
- Prenatal depression, prenatal anxiety, and spontaneous preterm birth: a prospective cohort study among women with early and regular care.Psychosomatic Medicine. 2006; 68: 938-946
- Association between life stress during pregnancy and infant crying in the first six months postpartum: a prospective longitudinal study.Early Human Development. 2006; 82: 341-349
- Psychological factors associated with persistent postnatal depression: past and current relationships, defence styles and the mediating role of insecure attachment style.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2005; 84: 15-24
- Effects of early maternal depression on patterns of infant–mother attachment: a meta-analytic investigation.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2000; 41: 737-746
- Maternal depression and infant temperament characteristics.Infant Behavior and Development. 2008; 31: 71-80
- The effect of postnatal depression on mother–infant interaction, infant response to the still-face perturbation, and performance on an instrumental learning task.Development and Psychopathology. 2004; 16: 1-18
- The impact of postnatal depression and associated adversity on early mother–infant interactions and later infant outcome.Child Development. 1996; 67: 2512-2526
- Maternal depressive symptoms in the postnatal period are associated with long-term impairment of mother–child bonding.Archives of Women's Mental Health. 2006; 9: 273-278
- Postnatal depression and infant cognitive and motor development in the second postnatal year: the impact of depression chronicity and gender.Infant Behavior and Development. 2005; 28: 407-417
- The impact of postnatal depression on infant development.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 1992; 33: 543-561
- The mediating role of maternal responsiveness in some longer term effects of postnatal depression on infant development.Infant Behavior and Development. 2004; 27: 443-454
- Depression in first-time mothers: mother–infant interaction and depression chronicity.Developmental Psychology. 1995; 31: 349-357
- Postnatal depression and child outcome at 11 years: the importance of accurate diagnosis.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2008; 197: 241-245
- Perceived and observed mother–child interaction at time of hospitalization and release in postpartum depression and psychosis.Archives of Women's Mental Health. 2008; 11: 49-56
- Maternal depression and psychiatric outcomes in adolescent offspring: a 13-year longitudinal study.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2007; 97: 145-154
- Psychosocial and psychological interventions for treating postpartum depression.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2007; 4: CD006116
- Systematic review of the literature on postpartum care: effectiveness of postpartum support to improve maternal parenting, mental health, quality of life, and physical health.Birth. 2006; 33: 210-220
- Controlled trial of the short- and long-term effect of psychological treatment of post-partum depression: 2. Impact on the mother–child relationship and child outcome.British Journal of Psychiatry. 2003; 182: 420-427
- Promoting secure attachment, maternal mood and child health in a vulnerable population: a randomised controlled trial.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2000; 36: 555-562
- Clinical issues in perinatal mental health: new developments in the detection and treatment of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2005; 112: 97-104
- Detection of postnatal depression: development of the 10 item Edinburgh postnatal depression scale.British Journal of Psychiatry. 1987; 150: 782-786
- A survey of the clinical acceptability of screening for postnatal depression in depressed and non-depressed women.BMC Public Health. 2006; 6: 211
Buist A, Bilszta J. The beyondblue national postnatal depression program, prevention and early intervention 2001–2005, Final Report. Volume 1: National Screening Program. beyondblue: the national depression initiative; 2006.
- Acceptability of routine screening for perinatal depression.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2006; 93: 233-237
- Acceptability of antenatal screening for depression in routine antenatal care.Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2007; 24: 14-18
- The development and validation of a predictive index for postpartum depression.Psychological Medicine. 1996; 36: 627-634
- Antenatal screening for the prediction of postnatal depression: validation of a psychosocial Pregnancy Risk Questionnaire.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2005; 112: 310-317
- Effectiveness of the Antenatal Psychosocial Health Assessment (ALPHA) form in detecting psychosocial concerns: a randomized controlled trial.Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2005; 173: 253-259
- Postpartum depression: identification of women at risk.British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2000; 107: 1210-1217
- Antenatal screening for postnatal depression: a systematic review.Acta Psychiatrica Scandanavica. 2003; 107: 10-17
- Antenatal psychosocial assessment for reducing antenatal and postnatal mental health morbidity.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2008; 4 (doi:10.1002/14651858.CD005124.pub2, Art. no.: CD005124)
- The use of the Antenatal Psychosocial Health Assessment (ALPHA) tool in the detection of psychosocial risk factors for postpartum depression: a randomised controlled trial.Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. 2006; 28: 873-878
- Routine psychosocial assessment of women in the antenatal period: frequency of risk factors and implications for clinical services.Archives of Women's Mental Health. 2004; 7: 223-229
- Rates and risk of post-partum depression: a meta-analysis.International Review of Psychiatry. 1996; 8: 37-54
WHO. World Health Organisation CIDI: Autoversion 2.1, Administrator's Guide. Sydney: World Health Organisation; 1997.
- Rates and risk of postpartum depression: a meta-analysis.International Review of Psychiatry. 1996; 8: 37-54
- Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach.Biometrics. 1988; 44: 837-845
- Evaluating medical tests: objective and quantitative guidelines.Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA1992
- Women's views of being screened for postnatal depression.Community Practice. 2006; 79: 363-367
- The impact on midwives of undertaking screening for domestic violence: focus group findings.Birth Issues. 2005; 14: 49-56
- Midwives’ perceptions and experiences of routine enquiry for domestic violence BJOG.An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2003; 110: 744-752
- Antenatal psychosocial risk assessment project.Australian College of Midwives Inc Journal. 2000; 13: 7-13
- Midwives’ emotional wellbeing: impact of conducting a structured, antenatal psychosocial, assessment (SAPSA).Women and Birth. 2009; 22: 82-88
- Screening for depression in adults: a summary of the evidence for the U.S, Preventive Services Task Force.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2002; 136: 765-776
Jones CJ, Creedy DK, Gamble JA. Australian midwives’ awareness and management of antenatal and postpartum depression. Women and Birth. doi:10.1016/j.wombi.2011.03.001.
Department of Health and Ageing. National perinatal depression initiative 2008–2013. http://wwwhealthgovau/internet/main/publishingnsf/Content/mental-perinat [accessed May 2011].
beyondblue: the national depression initiative. beyondblue online learning. beyond babyblues: detecting and managing perinatal mental health disorders in primary care. http://thinkgpcomau/beyondblue [accessed May 2011].
beyondblue: the national depression initiative. State and territory perinatal mental health training programs. http://wwwbeyondblueorgau/indexaspx?link_id=941193 [accessed May 2011].
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. College statement C-Gen 11: perinatal depression. July 2010. http://wwwranzcogeduau/fellows/collegestatementsshtml [accessed May 2011].
- A psychosocial risk assessment model (PRAM) for use with pregnant and postpartum women in primary care settings.Archives of Womens Mental Health. 2008; 11: 307-317
- Sexual abuse and lifetime diagnosis of psychiatric disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis.Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;
- Childhood sexual abuse: a risk factor for postpartum depression?.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 1995; 29: 604-608