Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women and Birth
- Accuracy and intraobserver variability of simulated cervical dilatation measurements.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 173: 942-945
- Obstetrics by ear: maternal and caregiver perceptions of the meaning of maternal sounds during second stage labour.J Nurs Midwifery. 1990; 35: 266-273
- Communication of pain: vocalization as an indicator of the stage of labour.Aust N Z Obstet Gynaecol. 1993; 33: 384-385
- Accuracy of cervical assessment in the active phase of labour.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007; 144: 833-837
- Obstructed labour.Br Med Bull. 2003; 67: 191-204
- Hong Kong Chinese women's experiences of vaginal examinations in labour.Midwifery. 2002; 18: 296-303
- Maternal considerations in the use of pelvic examinations in labour.Midwifery. 1986; 2: 93-97
- Unwanted vaginal examinations.Brit J Midwifery. 1994; 2: 368-370
- International multicenter term PROM study: evaluation of predictors of neonatal infection in infants born to patients with premature rupture of membranes at term.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 179: 635-639
- The microbiologic effect of digital cervical examination.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 180: 578-580
- The vaginal examination during labour: is it of benefit or harm?.N Z Coll Midwifery. 2010; 42: 21-26
- Why should I do vaginal examinations?.Pract Midwifery. 1999; 2: 12-13
- Effects of algorithm for diagnosis of active labour: cluster randomised trial.BMJ. 2008; 337: 1396-1400
- Safe motherhood – care in normal birth: a practical guide.WHO, Geneva1997 (Available at)[accessed 26.01.12])
- Intimate examinations: report of a working party.RCOG Press, London1997
- The purple line as a measure of labour progress: a longitudinal study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2010; 10: 54
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence 2007 clinical guideline 55: intrapartum care. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG55/Guidance/pdf/English [accessed 03.11.11].
- Women in normal labour. Tindall VR.HMSO, London1995
Information and statistics division Scotland. http://www.isdscotland.org/isd/1612.html [accessed 12.11.11].
Stuart M. Midwives’ discources on vaginal examination in labour. PhD thesis. University of West of England; 2008.
- Preventing prolonged labour: a practical guide. The partograph. Part I: principles and strategy.WHO, Geneva1993 (Available at)[accessed 26.01.12])
- A guide to effective care in pregnancy and childbirth.University Press, Oxford2000
- Assessing cervical dilatation without VEs.Pract Midwifery. 1998; 1: 34-35
- Learning at work: midwives judging progress in labour.Learn Health Soc Care. 2002; 1: 75-85
- Simulation of cervical changes in labour: reproducibility of expert assessment.Lancet. 1989; 334: 1089-1090
- Accuracy of simulated cervical dilatation and effacement measurements among practitioners.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 191: 1797-1799
- Clinical method for evaluating progress in first stage of labour.Lancet. 1990; 335: 122
- Myles textbook for midwives.15th edition. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh2009
- Henderson C. MacDonald S. Mayes midwifery. 13th edition. Balliere Tindall, London2004
- Assessing cervical dilatation without VEs: watching the purple line.Pract Midwifery. 2007; 10: 26-27
- Sexuality and midwifery.Br J Midwifery. 1996; 4: 413-416
- Women's experiences of vaginal examinations in labour.Midwifery. 2005; 21: 267-277
- “You’ll feel me touching you sweetie”: vaginal examinations during the second stage of labor.Birth. 1992; 19: 10-18
- Counting time in pregnancy and labour.in: McCourt C. Childbirth, midwifery and concepts of time. Berghahn Books, 2009
- Assessing women's progress in labour.Br J Midwifery. 2000; 8: 449-457