Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women and Birth
Statistics New Zealand. Estimated resident population of New Zealand. Available from: http://www.stats.govt.nz/tools_and_services/tools/population_clock.aspx; 2011 [accessed 18.05.11].
Statistics New Zealand. 2006 Census data – QuickStats about culture and identity. Available from: http://www.stats.govt.nz/Census/2006CensusHomePage/QuickStats/quickstats-about-a-subject/culture-and-identity.aspx; 2011 [accessed 30.08.11].
- The story of a treaty.Allen & Unwin New Zealand Ltd., Wellington, New Zealand1989
- Mauri Oho, Mauri Ora (Speech to the Second World Indigenous Youth Conference, Larrakia, Darwin, Australia, July 1993))Irwin K. Ramsden I. Toi Wāhine The worlds of Māori women. Penguin Books (NZ) Ltd., Auckland, New Zealand1995: 31-43 (
- Birthrites, natural vs. unnatural childbirth in New Zealand.The Full Court Press, Auckland, New Zealand1998
- Maternity in dispute: New Zealand, 1920–1939.Historical Publications Branch, Department of Internal Affairs, Wellington, New Zealand1986
- Doctoring childbirth and regulating midwifery in New Zealand.The Dunmore Press, Palmerston North, New Zealand1997
- Standing in the sunshine, a history of New Zealand women since they won the vote.Penguin Books (NZ) Ltd., Auckland, New Zealand1993
- Women's business – the story of The New Zealand College of Midwives 1986–2010.New Zealand College of Midwives, Christchurch, New Zealand2010
Nurses Act amendment. Available from: http://www.moh.govt.nz/notebook/nbbooks.nsf/0/7E9811383ED959B34C2565D7000DE831?OpenDocument; 1990 [accessed 14.03.12].
- Nurses amendment Act 1990 information for health providers.Department of Health, Wellington, New Zealand1990 (p. 01)
- Davis-Floyd R. Barclay L. Daviss B.-A. Tritten J. Birth models that work. University of California Press, Berkley, California2009: 22
Ministry of Health. Maternity snapshot 2010 (provisional data). Non-DHB agencies table. Wellington: Ministry of Health. Available from: http://www.health.govt.nz/search/results/maternity%20snap-shot%202010; 2011 [accessed 14.02.12].
- Another unfortunate experiment?.New Zealand Listener, 2009 (p. 14–9)
- The unfortunate experiment, the full story behind the inquiry into cervical cancer treatment.Penguin, Auckland, New Zealand1988
- Why midwives are saying “enough”.Midwifery News. 2012; 65 (Available from: http://www.midwife.org.nz/index.cfm/1,115,0,0,html/Midwifery-News): 6-8
- Case-loading midwifery in New Zealand: making space for childbirth.Midwifery. 2010; 26: 603-608
ACC. Introduction to ACC. Available from: http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/overview-of-acc/introduction-to-acc/index.htm; 2008 [accessed 14.03.12].
- Legal frameworks for practice in Australia and New Zealand.in: Pairman S. Tracy S. Thorogood C. Pincombe J. Midwifery: preparation for practice 2e. Elsevier Australia, Sydney2010: 269
Health and Disability Commission. Code of health and disability services consumers’ rights. Available from: http://www.hdc.org.nz/media/24833/leaflet%20code%20of%20rights.pdf; 2009 [accessed 14.03.12].
- Informed consent and midwifery practice in New Zealand: lessons from the Health and Disability Commissioner.New Zealand College of Midwives Journal. 2010; 42 (Available from: http://www.midwife.org.nz/index.cfm/3,114,279/nzcom-journal-42.pdf): 12-16
- Health practitioners competence assurance Act 2003: about the HPCA Act.Ministry of Health, Wellington2010 (Available at: http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/regulation-health-and-disability-system/health-practitioners-competence-assurance-act/about-health-practitioners-competence-assurance-act [accessed 14.03.12])
Midwifery council of New Zealand. Available from: http://www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz/; 2011 [accessed 15.02.12].
- Midwives handbook for practice (includes Standards of Midwifery Practice and a Code of Ethics), Midwifery Standards Review handbook and Consensus statements.New Zealand College of Midwives, Christchurch2011
- Te Mauri ki Nga Maia/about us.2011 (Available from: http://www.ngamaia.co.nz/about-us.html [accessed 14.03.12])
- Maternity services notice pursuant to Section 88 of the New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000.Ministry of Health, Wellington2007 (Available at: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/section-88-primary-maternity-services-notice-2007 [accessed 14.03.12])
Guilliland K, Pairman S. The midwifery partnership: a model for practice. Wellington: Victoria University of Wellington, Department of Nursing and Midwifery; 1995. Monograph Series 95/1.
- Standards for approval of pre-registration midwifery education programmes and accreditation of tertiary education organisations.Midwifery Council, Wellington, New Zealand2007 (Available from: Competencies: http://www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz/publications/ [accessed 13.03.12])
- Maternity fact sheet and attached tables 2001–2010 (provisional).Ministry of Health, Wellington2011 (p. 4, Available from: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/maternity-factsheet-2001-2010 [accessed 14.02.12])
- Midwifery workforce report.2010 (p. 45, Available from: http://www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz/images/stories/pdf/midwifery%20workforce%20report%20%20updated%202010%20final.pdf [accessed 14.03.12])
- Maternity Facility Service Specification.Ministry of Health, Wellington2003 (Available from: http://www.nsfl.health.govt.nz/apps/nsfl.nsf/pagesmh/161 [accessed 14.03.12])
- Case-loading midwifery in New Zealand: bridging the normal/abnormal divide ‘with women’.Midwifery. 2011; 27: 46-52
- Consultation, referral, and collaboration between midwives and obstetricians: Lessons from New Zealand.Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health. 2010; 55: 28-37
- Guidelines for consultation with obstetric and related medical services (referral guidelines).Ministry of Health, Wellington2011 (Available from: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/guidelines-consultation-obstetric-and-related-medical-services-referral-guidelines [accessed 14.03.12])
- Eligibility for publically funded health and disability services.Ministry of Health, Wellington2011 (Available from: http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealand-health-system/eligibility-publicly-funded-health-services/guide-eligibility-publicly-funded-health-services-0 [accessed 14.03.12])
New Zealand Health Insurance. New Zealand 2012. Available from: www.nzhealthinsurance.co.nz [accessed 19.08.12].
- Report on maternity, 2004, maternal and newborn information.New Zealand Health Information Service, Wellington2007 (Available from: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/report-maternity-maternal-and-newborn-information-2004 [accessed 14.03.12])
- 2007 Maternity services consumer satisfaction survey report.2008 (Available from: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/maternity-services-consumer-satisfaction-survey-2007 [accessed 03.06.11])
Li Z, McNally L, Hilder L, Sullivan E. Australia's mothers and babies 2009. Perinatal statistics series no. 25. Cat. no. PER 52. Sydney: AIHW National Perinatal Epidemiology and Statistics Unit. Available from: http://www.aihw.gov.au/publicationdetail/?id=10737420870&tab=2; 2011. p. 25 [accessed 15.02.12].
Professor Tracy and the AIHW PRERU at UNSW. Personal communication; 2012 March 9.
- Health Quality & Safety Commission, Wellington2011 (Available from: http://www.pmmrc.health.govt.nz [accessed 14.03.12]) Fifth annual report of the perinatal and maternal mortality review committee: reporting mortality 2009.
- Perinatal national minimum data set compliance evaluation 2006 to 2009.AIHW National Perinatal Epidemiology and Statistics Unit, Sydney2012
- Health Quality & Safety Commission, Wellington2012 (Available from: http://www.hqsc.govt.nz/our-programmes/mrc/pmmrc/ [accessed 19.04.12]) Sixth annual report of the perinatal and maternal mortality review committee. reporting mortality 2010.
- Monitoring emergency obstetric care, a handbook.World Health Organization, UNFPA, UNICEF and Mailman School of Public Health. Averting Maternal Death and Disability (AMDD), Geneva, Switzerland2009 (Available from: http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/monitoring/9789241547734/en/index.html [accessed 14.04.12])
- Is a rising cesarean delivery rate inevitable? Trends in industrialized countries, 1987 to 2007.Birth. 2011; 38: 99-104
- Hospital-based maternity events 2007.Ministry of Health, Wellington2010 (p. 26, Available from: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/hospital-based-maternity-events-2007 [accessed 14.03.12])
- Risk: let's look at the bigger picture.Women and Birth. 2008; 21: 53-54
- Risk, theory, social and medical models: a critical analysis of the concept of risk in maternity care.Midwifery. 2010; 26: 488-496
- Hidden costs associated with the universal application of risk management in maternity care.Australian Health Review. 2011; 35: 211-215
- How social context impacts on women's fears of childbirth: a Western Australian example.Social Science & Medicine. 2006; 63: 64-75
- An innovative toolkit to support normal birth.Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health. 2010; 55: 270-272
- Unpacking the concept of patient satisfaction: a feminist analysis.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005; 50: 293-298
- The meaning of patient satisfaction: an explanation of high reported levels.Social Science in Medicine. 1998; 47: 1351-1359
- Towards better births, a review of maternity services in England.Commission for Healthcare Audit and Inspection, 2008 (Available from: www.healthcarecommission.org.uk [accessed 20.05.11])