- •This article reviewed midwifery professional documents revealing a limited reference to woman centred care.
- •Due to the lack of a uniform definition, the concept, at this time, remains widely interpreted.
- •Despite midwifery practice being woman centred, a definition of the concept has limited attention within the peer-reviewed evidence.
- •Woman centred care is mostly referred to through an operational lens, and at this time, there is no clear universally accepted definition.
- •However, it is purported that woman centred care underpins midwifery philosophy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The midwife and the church: ecclesiastical regulation of midwives in Brie, 1499–1504.Bull. Hist. Med. 2011; 85: 171-192
- A History of the Nursing Profession.Heinemann, London1960
- Rewriting Nursing History.1st ed. Antony Rowe Ltd, Chippenham Great Britain1980
- ‘With woman’ philosophy: examining the evidence, answering the questions.Nurs. Inq. 2007; 14: 140-152
- The Online Etymological Dictionary Archived.Online Etymology Dictionary, 2017
- Woman-centred or women-centred care: does it matter?.Br. J. Midwifery. 2009; 17: 12-16
- Midwives ‘with woman’ in the private obstetric model: where divergent philosophies meet.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 157-167
Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. Midwifery Standards for Practice Australia 2018 [Available from: https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/Professional-standards/Midwife-standards-for-practice.aspx].
Royal College of Midwives. High Quality Midwifery Care London 2018 [Available from: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwja9LnZjOrpAhVVxzgGHZf6C1MQFjABegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rcm.org.uk%2Fmedia%2F2354%2Fhigh-quality-midwifery-care.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2Ze8OopX_zRflj5Vw2M_dF].
- An exploration of person-centredness in practice.Online J. Issues Nurs. 2011; 16
- ‘I SeeYou’: a woman-centred care education and research project in Dutch bachelor midwifery education.Health Educ. J. 2018; 77: 899-914
- Woman-centred care in childbirth: a concept analysis (part 1).Curationis. 2013; 36: 1-8
- Woman-centred care.Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2001; 38: 227-238
- Cultural safety and its importance for Australian midwifery practice.Collegian. 2010; 17: 105-111
- Woman-centred care during pregnancy and birth in Ireland: thematic analysis of women’s and clinicians’ experiences.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017; 17: 1-11
- Woman-centred care: an integrative review of the empirical literature.Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2019; 94: 107-119
House of Commons. Winterton Report London The Stationery Office Limited; 1992 [cited Available from: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmhealth/464/464.pdf].
International Confederation of Midwives. Global Standards for Midwifery Regulation 2011 [Available from: www.internationalmidwives.org].
- Nursing and Midwifery Council Realising Professionalism: Standards for Education and Training Part 3: Standards for Pre-registration Midwifery Programmes. 2019: 1-23 (United Kingdom)
Australian Government Department of Health. Pregnancy Care Guidelines - Providing Woman-Centred Care 2020 [cited 2020. Available from: https://beta.health.gov.au/resources/pregnancy-care-guidelines/part-a-optimising-pregnancy-care/providing-woman-centred-care].
- Conceptualizing woman-centred care in midwifery.Can. J. Midwifery Res. Pract. 2015; 14: 8-15
- Health Do Changing Childbirth: A Renewal of the Maternity Services. British Journal of Midwifery, 1993 (p. 157)
- Development and piloting the Woman Centred Care Scale (WCCS).Women Birth. 2017; 30: 220-226
- A midwifery model of woman-centred childbirth care — in Swedish and Icelandic settings.Sex. Reprod. Healthc. 2012; 3: 79-87
- A historical account of the governance of midwifery education in Australia and the evolution of the Continuity of Care Experience.Women Birth. 2018; 31: 210-215
- Midwifery students’: developing an understanding of being’ with woman’––a qualitative study.Midwifery. 2020; 84
- ‘Continuity of care’ experiences in midwifery education: perspectives from diverse stakeholders.Nurse Educ. Pract. 2014; 14: 573-578
- A protocol for evaluating progressive levels of simulation fidelity in the development of technical skills, integrated performance and woman centred clinical assessment skills in undergraduate midwifery students.BMC Med. Educ. 2013; 1372
- “It’s what midwifery is all about”: Western Australian midwives’ experiences of being ‘with woman’ during labour and birth in the known midwife model.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019; 19: 29
Adrian A. Primary health care in Australia 2009 [cited Australian Nursing Federation Available from: https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/NPHC-Strategic-Framework∼phc-australia].
- Document analysis as a qualitative research method.Qual. Res. J. 2009; 9: 27-40
- Qualitative Research From Start to Finish.2nd ed. The Guilford Press, New York2016
- Qualitative reseach — airy fairy or fundamental.Qual. Rep. 2003; 8: 100-103
International Confederation of Midwives. International Confederation of Midwives (ICM). The philosophy and model of midwifery care 2014 [Available from: https://www.internationalmidwives.org/assets/files/definitions-files/2018/06/eng-philosophy-and-model-of-midwifery-care.pdf].
- Mental Health Nursing: The Art of Compassionate Care.2nd ed. Elsevier Health Sciences, United Kingdom2001
- The development of national competency standards for the midwife in Australia.Midwifery. 2007; 23: 350-360
- Students’ understanding of’ Women-Centred Care Philosophy’ in midwifery care through Continuity of Care (CoC) learning model: a quasi-experimental study.BMC Nurs. 2015; 14: 1-7
- Workplace culture and the practice experience of midwifery students: a meta-synthesis.J. Nurs. Manag. 2018; 26: 302-313