Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
COAG Health Council, Woman-Centred Care: Strategic Directions for Australian Maternity Services, Department of Health, Canberra, 2019. Available from: 〈https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2019/11/woman-centred-care-strategic-directions-for-australian-maternity-services.pdf〉.
The Australian Health Ministers’ Conference, National Maternity Services Plan, Canberra, 2011. Available from: 〈https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/8AF951CE492C799FCA257BF0001C1A4E/$File/maternityplan.pdf〉.
A. Staines, Personal communication from maternity consumer network president, in: H. Dahlen (ed.), Email, 2021.
- Home birth and the National Australian Maternity Services Review: too hot to handle?.Women Birth. 2011; 24: 148-155
- Midwife-led continuity models versus othermodels of care for childbearing women during pregnancy, birth and early parenting.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2016; 4https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004667.pub5
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes by planned place of birth among women with low-risk pregnancies in high-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Midwifery. 2018; 62: 240-255
- Alternative versus conventional institutional settings for birth.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2012; 8CD000012https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD000012.pub4
Commonwealth of Australia, Improving maternity services in Australia: the report of the maternity services review, Canberra, 2009. Available from: 〈https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/624EF4BED503DB5BCA257BF0001DC83C/$File/Improving%20Maternity%20Services%20in%20Australia%20-%20The%20Report%20of%20the%20Maternity%20Services%20Review.pdf〉.
- Birth centres and the National Maternity Services Review: response to consumer demand or compromise?.Women Birth. 2011; 24: 165-172
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australian Mothers and Babies 2018-in Brief (Perinatal Statistics Series no 36 Cat no PER 108), AIHW, Canberra, 2020. Available from: 〈https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/mothers-babies/australias-mothers-and-babies-2018-in-brief〉.
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Australian Mothers and Babies–2021, AIHW, Canberra. Available from: 〈https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/mothers-babies/australias-mothers-babies〉.
- A review of the impact of financing mechanisms on maternal health care in Australia.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 1540-1553
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Disease Expenditure in Australia, AIHW, Canberra, 2019. Available from: 〈https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/health-welfare-expenditure/disease-expenditure-australia/contents/australian-burden-of-disease-groups〉.
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, Bundled Pricing for Maternity Care, Final Report of IHPA and the Bundled Pricing Advisory Group, 2017. Available from: 〈https://www.ihpa.gov.au/sites/default/files/bundled_pricing_for_maternity_care_-_final_report.pdf〉.
- The role of midwifery and other international insights for maternity care in the United States: an analysis of four countries.Birth. 2020; 47: 332-345
National Health Service (NHS), National maternity review: better births improving outcomes of maternity services in Englanda five year forward view for maternity care, 2016. Available from: 〈https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/national-maternity-review-report.pdf〉.
Welsh Government, Maternity care in Wales: a five year vision for the future (2019–2024), 2019. Available from: 〈https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2019-06/maternity-care-in-wales-a-five-year-vision-for-the-future-2019-2024.pdf〉.
Scottish Government, The best start: a five-year forward plan for maternity and neonatal care in Scotland, 2017. Available from: 〈https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/strategy-plan/2017/01/best-start-five-year-forward-plan-maternity-neonatal-care-scotland/documents/00513175-pdf/00513175-pdf/govscot%3Adocument/00513175.pdf〉.
Department of Health, Ireland, Creating a better future together: national maternity strategy 2016–2026, 2016. Available from: 〈https://assets.gov.ie/18835/ac61fd2b66164349a1547110d4b0003f.pdf〉.
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety, A strategy for maternity care in Northern Ireland 2012–2018, 2012. Available from: 〈https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/dhssps/maternitystrategy.pdf〉.
Public Health Agency of Canada, Chapter 1: family-centred maternity and newborn care in Canada: underlying philosophy and principles, 2017. Available from: 〈https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/publications/healthy-living/maternity-newborn-care/maternity-newborn-care-guidelines-chapter-1-eng.pdf〉.
Ministry of Health and District Health Boards, New Zealand maternity standards: a set of standards to guide the planning, funding and monitoring of maternity services, Wellington, New Zealand, 2011. Available from: 〈https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/nz-maternity-stds-sept2011.pdf〉.
World Healh Organisation, WHO recommendations: intrapartum care for a positive childbirth experience, Geneva, 2018. Avaliable from: 〈https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/260178/9789241550215-eng.pdf;jsessionid=5559193E3921970A540FB8C59D62904C?sequence=1〉.
- Male appropriation and medicalization of childbirth: an historical analysis.J. Adv. Nurs. 2001; 33: 334-342
- Has the medicalisation of childbirth gone too far?.BMJ. 2002; 324: 892-895
- The experiences of women, midwives and obstetricians when women decline recommended maternity care: a feminist thematic analysis.Midwifery. 2017; 52: 1-10
- WHO model of intrapartum care for a positive childbirth experience: transforming care of women and babies for improved health and wellbeing.BJOG: Int. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2018; 125: 918-922
United Nations, Global strategy for women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health (2016–2030), Geneva, 2016. Available from: 〈https://www.who.int/life-course/partners/global-strategy/globalstrategyreport2016-2030-lowres.pdf?ua=1〉.
- Postnatal post-traumatic stress: an integrative review.Women Birth. 2018; 31: 367-379
The International Childbirth Initiative (ICI), 12 steps to safe and respectful motherbaby-family maternity care, 2018. Available from: 〈https://icichildbirth.org/wpcontent/uploads/2021/04/ICI_International-Childbirth_2021.4.pdf〉.
The White Ribbon Alliance, Respectful maternity care charter: universal rights of mothers and newborn: the Global Respectful Maternity Care Council, 2018. Available from: 〈https://www.whiteribbonalliance.org/respectful-maternity-care-charter/〉.
White Ribbon Alliance, The respectful maternity care charter: the universal rights of childbearing women, Washington, 2011. Available from: 〈http://www.healthpolicyproject.com/pubs/46_FinalRespectfulCareCharter.pdf〉.
- Woman centred care: has the definition been morphing of late?.Women Birth. 2021; 34: 1-3
United Nations, Universal declaration of human rights, Geneva, 2015. Available from: 〈https://www.un.org/en/udhrbook/pdf/udhr_booklet_en_web.pdf〉.
- Gendered POwer Relations and Informed Consent: the I.V. v. Bolivia case.Health Hum. Rights. 2018; 20: 197-203
- Operationalising caseload midwifery in the Australian public maternity system: findings from a national cross-sectional survey of maternity managers.Women Birth. 2018; 31: 194-201
R. Davis-Floyd, L. Barclay, J. Tritten (Eds.), Birth Models That Work, University of California Press, 2009. Available from: 〈https://california.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.1525/california/9780520248632.001.0001/upso-9780520248632〉.
- The development of a classification system for maternity models of care.Health Inf. Manag. J. 2016; 45: 64-70
- A survey of women in Australia who choose the care of unregulated birthworkers for a birth at home.Women Birth. 2020; 33: 86-96
- Dahlen H. Kumar-Hazard B. Schmied V. Birthing Outside the System: The Canary in the Coal Mine. Routledge, New York2020
- Working together: collaboration between midwives and doctors in public hospitals.Aust. Health Rev. 2009; 33: 315-324
- What are pregnant women told about models of maternity care in Australia? A retrospective study of women’s reports.Patient Educ. Couns. 2014; 97: 114-121
- Does Australia’s health policy environment create unintended outcomes for birthing women?.Birth. 2016; 43: 273-276
Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council, National Guidance on Collaborative Maternity Care, Department of Aging, 2010. Available from 〈https://www.nhmrc.gov.au〉.
Australian Government Productivity Commission, Introducing competition and informed user choice into human services: reforms to human services in Productivity Commission Inquiry Report Overview & Recommendations, 2018: Canberra No 85, 2017. Available from: 〈https://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/human-services/reforms/report/human-services-reforms-overview.pdf〉.
Australian Government Productivity Commission, Efficiency in health, in: Productivity Commission Research Paper, 2015. Available from: 〈https://www.pc.gov.au/research/completed/efficiency-health/efficiency-health.pdf〉.
- Rates of obstetric intervention and associated perinatal mortality and morbidity among low-risk women giving birth in private and public hospitals in NSW (2000–2008): a linked data population-based cohort study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: 5
- Reforming maternity services in Australia: outcomes of a private practice midwifery service.Midwifery. 2015; 10: 935-940
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG), Consultation Paper on the Pricing Framework for Australian Public Hospital Services 2017-18–RANZCOG response, Independent Hospital Pricing Authority (Ed.), 2017. Available from: 〈https://www.ihpa.gov.au/sites/default/files/Documents/consultation_paper_on_the_pricing_framework_2017-18_0.pdf〉.
- What women want: qualitative analysis of consumer evaluations of maternity care in Queensland, Australia.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14: 366
- Refusal of recommended maternity care: time to make a pact with women?.Women Birth. 2018; 31: 433-441