Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Caesarean birth regret and dissatisfaction: a qualitative approach.Birth. 2016; 43: 346-352
- Birth choices after caesarean in Taiwan: a mixed methods pilot study of a decision aid for shared decision making.Midwifery. 2021; 95102920
- The perspectives of women and their health-care providers regarding using an ECA to support mode of birth decisions.J Perinat Educ. 2021; 30: 135-144https://doi.org/10.1891/J-PE-D-20-00027
- Effectiveness of respectful care policies for women using routine intrapartum services: a systematic review.Reprod. Health. 2018; 15: 23https://doi.org/10.1186/s12978-018-0466-y
- Racial/ethnic disparities in contraceptive use: variation by age and women’s reproductive experiences.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2014; 210: 526.e1-526.e5269https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2014.01.037
- Vaginal birth after caesarean: new insights.Evid. Rep. Technol. Assess. 2010; 191: 1-397
Hamilton, B.E., Martin, J.A., Michelle, J.K., Osterman, M., Rossen, L.M. ,2019. Birth Provisional Data for 2018. Vital Statistics Rapid Release. Retrieved from 〈https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsrr/vsrr-007–508.pdf〉.
- Labour after caesarean counselling documentation: a quality improvement intervention on labour and delivery.BMJ Open Qual. 2021; 10e001232https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjoq-2020-001232
- Continuous support for women during childbirth.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2013;
- Improving hospital quality to reduce disparities in severe maternal morbidity and mortality.Semin. Perinatol. 2017; 41: 266-272
- African American and latino patient versus provider perceptions of determinants of prenatal care initiation.Matern. Child Health J. 2011; 15: 27-34
- Group prenatal care and perinatal outcomes: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet. Gynecol. 2007; 110: 330-339
- New mothers’ feelings of disappointment and failure after caesarean delivery.Birth. 2018; 45: 19-27
- Births: Final Data for 2019.National vital statistics reports. 70. National Center for Health Statistics,, Hyattsville, MD2021: 2 (DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.15620/cdc:100472)
Meyer, P.A., Yoon, P.W., Kaufmann, R.B., 2013. Introduction: CDC Health Disparities and Inequalities Report. United States: MMR supplements, 6.
- Beyond too little, too late and too much, too soon: a pathway towards evidence-based, respectful maternity care worldwide.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2176-2192
- Striving for respectful maternity care everywhere.Matern. Child Health J. 2016; 20: 1769-1773
- The birth sisters program: a model of hospital-based doula support to promote health equity.J. Health Care Poor Underserved. 2020; 31: 43-55
- What women value in the midwifery continuity of care model: a systematic review with meta-synthesis.Midwifery. 2018; 62: 220-229
Reis, V., Deller, B., Carr, C., & Smith, J., 2012. Respectful maternity care. Washington DC: USAID.
- Redesigning prenatal care through CenteringPregnancy.J. Midwifery Women’s Health. 2004; 49: 398-404
- An Introduction to Codes and Coding.in: Saldana The coding manual for qualitative researchers. Sage Publications, Los Angeles, CA2009
- Respectful care during childbirth in health facilities globally: a qualitative evidence synthesis.BJOG: Int. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2018; 125: 932-942
- The importance of mode of birth after previous caesarean: success, satisfaction, and postnatal health.J. Midwifery Women’s Health. 2012; 57: 126-132
Smith H., Peterson N., Lagrew D., Main E., 2016. Toolkit to Support Vaginal Birth and Reduce Primary Cesarean: A Quality Improvement Toolkit. Stanford, CA: California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative.
- Trained or professional doulas in the support and care of pregnant and birthing women: a critical integrative review.Health Soc. Care Community. 2015; 23: 225-241
- Applied Social Research Methods Series: Vol. 20. Focus groups: Theory and Practice. Second ed. Sage Publications, Inc, 2007https://doi.org/10.4135/9781412991841
- Interpretive description: a noncategorical qualitative alternative for developing nursing knowledge.Res. Nurs. Health. 1997; 20: 169-177
- The analytic challenge in interpretive description.Int. J. Qual. Methods. 2004; 3: 1-11
- The fourth trimester: a critical transition period with unmet maternal health needs.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 217: 37-41
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2019. The Surgeon General's call to action to improve maternal health. 〈https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/call-to-action-maternal-health.pdf〉.
- The mothers on respect (MOR) index: measuring quality, safety, and human rights in childbirth.SSM-Popul. Health. 2017; : 201-210
- Promoting respect and preventing mistreatment during childbirth.BJOG: Int. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2016; 123: 671-674
WHO Reproductive Health Library, 2018. WHO recommendation on respectful maternity care. (February 2018). The WHO Reproductive Health Library; Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Institute of Medicine report: crossing the quality chasm: a new health care system for the 21st century.Policy, Polit. Nurs. Pract. 2001; 2: 233-235
- Practice Bulletin No. 184: Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Delivery, Obstetrics & Gynecology: November 2017 - Volume 130 - Issue 5 - p e217-e233 doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000002398.Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2017; 130: e217-e233https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000002398
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
☆Research Description : This original article outlines the results of a qualitative pilot study using focus groups to describe women’s experiences of prior caesarean birth in a large, inner-city public hospital and academic medical centre. Nested within a larger study, this work focuses on their stories of unplanned caesarean in order to highlight strategies needed to better support women who have experienced previous caesarean as they make decisions about future childbirth. Respectful maternity care was used as the framework underpinning the analysis.