Problem and background
Abbreviations:AG ((Ambiguous genitalia)), DSD ((Differences of sex development)), MDT ((multidisciplinary team))
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women and Birth
- Discordant fetal sex on NIPT and ultrasound.Prenat. Diagn. 2020; 40: 1353-1365
- Global disorders of sex development update since 2006: perceptions, approach and care.Horm. Res. Paediatr. 2016; 85: 158-180
- How sexually dimorphic are we? Review and synthesis.Am. J. Hum. Biol. 2000; 12: 151-166
- Early assessment of ambiguous genitalia.Arch. Dis. Child. 2004; 89: 401-407
- Disorders of sex development: insights from targeted gene sequencing of a large international patient cohort.Genome Biol. 2016; 17: 243
- Hutson J.M. Grover S.R. O’Connell M.A. Bouty A. Hanna C.A. Disorders | Differences of Sex Development: An Integrated Approach to Management. second ed. Springer, Singapore2020
- International consensus conference on intersex organized by the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine S, the European Society for Paediatric E. Consensus statement on management of intersex disorders. International consensus conference on intersex.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e488-e500
- Establishing a molecular genetic diagnosis in children with differences of sex development – a clinical approach.Horm. Res Paediatr. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1159/000520926
- Parents’ experiences of having a baby with ambiguous genitalia.J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2015; 28: 833-838
- Children with disorders of sex development: a qualitative study of early parental experience.Int. J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. 2011; 2011: 10
- Caring for individuals with a difference of sex development (DSD): a consensus statement.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 415-429
HEALTH Q. Queensland Clinical Guidelines. Newborn baby assessment (routine). Guideline No. MN21.4-V6-R26. In: Health Q, editor. Queensland Health: Queensland Health; 2021.
- Disorders of sex development in children and adolescents.Aust. J. Gen. Pract. 2020; 49: 417-422
- Role of cross-campus multidisciplinary team meetings in decision-making for children and adolescents with differences of sex development/intersex.J. Paediatr. Child Health. 2021; 57: 1402-1407https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.15474
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to steroid 21-hydroxylase deficiency: an endocrine society* clinical practice guideline.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018; 103: 4043-4088
- Androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS): emotional reactions of parents and adult patients to the clinical diagnosis of AIS and its confirmation by androgen receptor gene mutation analysis.Horm. Res. 2000; 53: 9-15
- The experience of parents of newborns diagnosed with a congenital anomaly at birth: a systematic review protocol.JBI Evid. Synth. 2013; 11
Office. UNHR. Intersex Factsheet, 2017. 〈https://www.unfe.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/UNFE-Intersex.pdf2022〉.
Black, E., Bond, K., Briffa, T., et al. Darlington Statement: Joint consensus statement from the intersex community retreat in Darlington. 2017. 〈https://darlington.org.au/statement/〉 (accessed 10/02/2022 2022).
Services DoHaH. Health and wellbeing of people with intersex variations: information and resource paper. In: Services VDoHaH, editor. Melbourne, Victoria. Australia: Victorian Department of Health and Human Services; 2018. p. 58.
ICM. Philosophy and Model of Midwifery Care. Adopted at Brisbane Council meeting, 2005. Revised and adopted at Prague Council meeting, 2014: ICM, 2014.
ACM. Australian College of Midwives Guidelines. 2021. 〈https://www.midwives.org.au/Web/About-ACM/Midwifery-Guidelines-and-Standards/Web/About-ACM/Guideline-Statements.aspx?hkey=1ac129e0–1241-4894–9efe-4edb089f31ec〉.
NMBA. Midwife standards for practice. Code of conduct for midwives. Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia: Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia; 2018.
Midwives TAoO. AOM Position Statement on Intersex Child Autonomy. 2021. 〈https://www.ontariomidwives.ca/aom-position-statement-intersex-child-autonomy〉.
- Intersex and Androgyny and Implications for Provision of Primary Health Care.Combined Universities Centre for Rural Health.,, Geraldton: Geraldton2008
- Whatever happened to qualitative description?.Res. Nurs. Health. 2000; 23: 334-340
- Qualitative Research & Evaluation Methods: Integrating Theory and Practice.Sage publications, 2014
- Purposeful sampling for qualitative data collection and analysis in mixed method implementation research.Adm. Policy Ment. Health Ment. Health Serv. Res. 2015; 42: 533-544
- Are we there yet? Data saturation in qualitative research.Qual. Rep. 2015; 20: 1408
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual. Res. Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Qualitative Research Methods.Oxford University Press,, New York2009 (3rd ed.; Pranee Liamputtong: Oxford)
- Diagnostic and therapeutic approach in newborns with ambiguous genitale with disorder of sex development: consensus report of Turkish Neonatal and Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes Societies.Turk. Pediatr. Ars. 2018; 53: S198-S208
- What makes a good midwife? An integrative review of methodologically-diverse research.J. Adv. Nurs. 2006; 56: 414-429
Policy HaS, The First 2000 Days Framework. In: Policy HaS, editor. NSW Health: NSW Health; 2019.
SA Maternal NGCo, Practice. Maternal and Neonatal Services in South Australia 2020 Clinical Directive. 2020. 〈https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/a31b8c0047feec57ad9bff21d1663cdf/Maternal+and+Neonatal+Services+Standards+in+SA+2020_CD_v3_1.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-a31b8c0047feec57ad9bff21d1663cdf-nzfbrd4〉.
Subramaniam R., Springer A. ESPU - SPU Consensus statement 2020. 2020. 〈https://www.espu.org/members/documents/383-espu-spu-consensus-statement-2020-management-of-differences-of-sex-development-dsd2022〉).
Frommer M., Howell J., Santow E., Cochrane S., Alston B. Ensuring health and bodily integrity: towards a human rights approach for people born with variations in sex characteristics report: © Australian Human Rights Commission 2021., 2021.
- Psychosocial implications of disorders of sex development treatment for parents.Curr. Opin. Urol. 2017; 27: 11-13
- Majority of females with a life-long experience of CAH and parents do not consider females with CAH to be intersex.J. Pediatr. Urol. 2021; 17 (e1-.e9): 210
- Primary caregivers of children affected by disorders of sex development: mental health and caregiver characteristics in the context of genital ambiguity and genitoplasty.Int. J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. 2010; 2010690674
- Psychological perspectives to early surgery in the management of disorders/differences of sex development.Curr. Opin. Pediatr. 2019; 31: 570-574
- Woman-centred or women-centred care: does it matter?.Br. J. Midwifery. 2009; 17: 12-16