Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women and Birth
- Challenging the colonisation of birth: Koori women’s birthing knowledge and practice.Women Birth. 2018; 31: 81-88
- Change is in the air: reclaiming ancestral wisdom through Birthing on Country in Australia.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 381-382
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia's mothers and babies. Cat. no. PER 101. Canberra AIHW, 2021.
Consultative Council on Obstetric and Paediatric Mortality and Morbidity, Victoria's Mother's and Babies Report. Melbourne, Victoria: Safer Care Victoria 2019.
COAG Health Council, Woman-Centred Care: strategic directions for Australian maternity services Canberra Department of Health 2019.
Department of Health, Koolin Balit: Victorian Government strategic directions for Aboriginal health 2012–2022. Melbourne State of Victoria, Department of Health 2012.
Department of Health and Ageing, National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan 2013–2023. Canberra Commonwealth of Australia 2013.
- Effect of a birthing on country service redesign on maternal and neonatal health outcomes for first nations Australians: a prospective, non-randomised, interventional trial.Lancet Glob. Health. 2021; 9: e651-e659
C.P. Howson, M.V. Kinney, J.E. Lawn, Born Too Soon: The Global Action Report on Preterm Birth Geneva World Health Organization, 2012.
- Models of midwifery care for Indigenous women and babies: a meta-synthesis.Women Birth. 2017; 30: 77-86
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women’s experiences accessing standard hospital care for birth in South Australia – a phenomenological study.Women Birth. 2016; 29: 350-358
- Our culture, how it is to be us – listening to Aboriginal women about on country urban birthing.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 391-403
- Cultural security in the perinatal period for indigenous women in urban areas: a scoping review.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 412-426
- Rising to the challenge in Aboriginal health by creating cultural security.Aborig. Isl. Health Work. J. 2007; 31: 22-24
- Implementing birthing on country services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families: RISE framework.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 466-475
- Guiding principles for developing a birthing on country service model and evaluation framework.Phase. 2016; 1
Kildea S., Magick Dennis F., Stapleton H. , Birthing on Country Workshop Report. Alice Springs, NT: Australian Catholic University, Mater Medical Research Unit., 2012.
- Success in closing the gap: favourable neonatal outcomes in a metropolitan Aboriginal Maternity Group Practice Program.Med. J. Aust. 2015; 203 (260.e1-.e7)
- The Aboriginal maternal and infant health service: a decade of achievement in the health of women and babies in NSW.N. South Wales Public Health Bull. 2012; 23: 68-72
- Partnerships are crucial: an evaluation of the Aboriginal family birthing program in South Australia.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 2017; 41: 21-26
- The participatory zeitgeist: an explanatory theoretical model of change in an era of coproduction and codesign in healthcare improvement.Med. Humanit. 2019; 45: 247-257
Commonwealth of Australia Department of Health, My Life My Lead - Opportunities for strengthening approaches to the social determinants and cultural determinants of Indigenous health: Report on the national consultations December 2017 Canberra, ACT Department of Health 2017.
- Improving antenatal engagement for Aboriginal women in Australia: a scoping review.Midwifery. 2020; 91102825
Australian Government Department of Health, Clinical Practice Guidelines: Pregnancy Care Canberra, ACT: Department of Health; 2018.
World Health Organization, WHO recommendations on antenatal care for a positive pregnancy experience. Geneva, Switzerland World Health Organization; 2016.
NICE. Antenatal care [NG201]. London, 2021.
- Antenatal care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.Aust. Fam. Physician. 2014; 43: 20-24
- Stressful life events, social health issues and low birthweight in an Australian population-based birth cohort: challenges and opportunities in antenatal care.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 196
- Stressful events, social health issues and psychological distress in Aboriginal women having a baby in South Australia: implications for antenatal care.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016; 16
- Continuity of care by a primary midwife (caseload midwifery) increases women's satisfaction with antenatal, intrapartum and postpartum care: results from the COSMOS randomised controlled trial.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016; 16: 28
- Improving Aboriginal women’s experiences of antenatal care: findings from the Aboriginal families study in South Australia.Birth: Issues Perinat. Care. 2015; 42: 27-37
- The indigenous birthing in an urban setting study: the IBUS study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018; 18: 431
- Measuring the Social and Emotional Wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. Cat. no. IHW 24.AIHW, Canberra, ACT2009
- Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress.Psychol. Med. 2002; 32: 959-976
Kruske S. , Culturally Competent Maternity Care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Women Report Brisbane, QLD: Commonwealth of Australia 2012.
- Statistical Software.StataCorp LLC, College Station, TX2021
- Quality, rigour and usefulness of free-text comments collected by a large population based longitudinal study - ALSWH.PLOS One. 2013; 8e68832
- Midwife‐led continuity models versus other models of care for childbearing women.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2016;
- Evaluation of an Australian Aboriginal model of maternity care: the Malabar community midwifery link service.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 427-436
- Respectful care during childbirth in health facilities globally: a qualitative evidence synthesis.Bjog. 2018; 125: 932-942
- ‘She knows how we feel’: Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander childbearing women's experience of Continuity of Care with an Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander midwifery student.Women Birth. 2014; 27: 157-162
- Reclaiming birth, health, and community: midwifery in the inuit villages of Nunavik, Canada.J. Midwifery Women’S. Health. 2007; 52: 384-391
- Nursing and midwifery workforce 2015. Cat. no. WEB 141.AIHW, Canberra2016
- Socio-demographic factors and psychological distress in Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australian adults aged 18-64 years: analysis of national survey data.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 95
- Decolonisation: a critical step for improving Aboriginal health.Contemp. Nurse. 2006; 22: 178-190
- Borning: Pmere Laltyeke Anwerne Ampe Mpwaretyeke; Congress Alukura by the grandmother’s law: a report prepared by the Central Australian Aboriginal Congress.Aust. Aborig Stud. 1987; 1: 2-33
- Establishing teams aiming to provide culturally safe maternity care for Indigenous families.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 449-459
- Decolonizing Methodologies.second ed. Zed Books, London2012
Ramsden I. Cultural Safety and Nursing Education in Aotearoa and Te Waipounamu: Victoria University of Wellington; 2002.
- Why cultural safety rather than cultural competency is required to achieve health equity: a literature review and recommended definition.Int. J. Equity Health. 2019; 18: 174