Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Breastfeeding in the 21st century: epidemiology, mechanisms, and lifelong effect.Lancet. 2016; 387: 475-490
- Long-term consequences of breastfeeding on cholesterol, obesity, systolic blood pressure and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Paediatr. 2015; 104: 30-37
- Breastfeeding and Childhood Leukemia Incidence.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169e151025
- Short-term effects of breastfeeding: a systematic review on the benefits of breastfeeding on diarrhoea and pneumonia mortality.World Health Organization, Geneva2013
- Breastfeeding and childhood acute otitis media: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Paediatr. 2015; 104: 85-95
- Breastfeeding and maternal health outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Paediatr. 2015; 104: 96-113
- Why invest, and what it will take to improve breastfeeding practices?.Lancet. 2016; 387: 491-504
World Health Organization and United Nation Children’s Fund Global Breastfeeding Scorecard World Health Organization and United Nation Children’s Fund 2019.
- Indigenous and tribal peoples' health (The Lancet–Lowitja Institute Global Collaboration): a population study.Lancet. 2016; 388: 131-157
- Severe Maternal Morbidity and Mortality Among Indigenous Women in the United States.Obstet. Gynecol. 2020; 135: 294-300
- Social Determinants of Indigenous Health and Indigenous Rights in Policy: A Scoping Review and Analysis of Problem Representation.Int. Indig. Policy J. 2019; 10: 2
Atkinson J.. Trauma Trails, Recreating Song Lines: Recreating Song Lines. North Melbourne, AUSTRALIA: Spinifex Press; 2002.
- Indigenous health part 1: determinants and disease patterns.Lancet. 2009; 374: 65-75
- At the Edges of Embodiment: Determinants of Breastfeeding for First Nations Women.Breastfeed. Med. 2014; 9: 203-214
- Historical, cultural, political, and social influences on dietary patterns and nutrition in Australian Aboriginal children.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000; 72: 1361s-1367ss
- Factors Associated with Breastfeeding Initiation and Continuation: A Meta-Analysis.J. Pediatr. 2018; 203e21
- Psychosocial correlates of exclusive breastfeeding: A systematic review.Midwifery. 2013; 29: 506-518
- Previous breastfeeding experience and its influence on breastfeeding outcomes in subsequent births: A systematic review.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 303-309
World Health Organization. Guideline: Protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding in facilities providing maternity and newborn services, 2017.
- Maternal obesity and breastfeeding intention, initiation, intensity and duration: a systematic review.Matern. Child Nutr. 2014; 10: 166-183
- Factors influencing breastfeeding exclusivity during the first 6 months of life in developing countries: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review.Matern. Child Nutr. 2015; 11: 433-451
- Breastfeeding in the Community—How Can Partners/Fathers Help? A Systematic Review.Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2020; 17: 413
- Expectant parents’ views of factors influencing infant feeding decisions in the antenatal period: A systematic review.Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2016; 60: 145-155
- Medically Complex Pregnancies and Early Breastfeeding Behaviors: A Retrospective Analysis.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9e104820
- Breastfeeding initiation for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in Victoria: analysis of routinely collected population-based data.Women Birth. 2017; 30: 361-366
Australian Government. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework. Measures: Tier 2 - Determinants of Health. 2.20 Breastfeeding practices, 2020.
- Intergenerational and early life influences on the well-being of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children: overview and selected findings fromFootprints in Time, the Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children.J. Dev. Orig. Health Dis. 2019; 10: 17-23
- Initiation and duration of breastfeeding of Aboriginal infants in South Australia.Women Birth. 2019; 32: e315-e322
Smith J.P., Cattaneo, A., Iellamo, A., Javanparast, S., Atchan, M., Gribble, K., Hartmann, B., Salmon, L., Tawia, S., Hull, N., Linkson, M., Blake, M., & Elliot-Rudder, M.. Review of effective strategies to promote breastfeeding: an Evidence Check rapid review brokered by the Sax Institute for the Department of Health. In: Health Do, editor.: Sax Institute; 2018.
- Australian National Breastfeeding Strategy: 2019 and beyond.Department of Health,, Canberra, ACT2019
Australian Government. National Agreement on Closing the Gap, 2020.
- Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage: Key Indicators.Commission P. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra2020
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; : n71
The EndNote Team. EndNote. In: Philadelphia P, editor. EndNote X9 ed: Clarivate; 2013.
- Covidence systematic review software.Veritas Health Innovation, Melbourne, Australia2021
- Assessing the quality of health research from an Indigenous perspective: the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander quality appraisal tool.BMC Med. Res. Methodol. 2020; 20: 1
- Low rates of predominant breastfeeding in hospital after gestational diabetes, particularly among Indigenous women in Australia.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 2017; 41: 144-150
- Breast-feeding and weaning practices of an urban community of indigenous Australians.Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000; 9: 232-234
- Effect of a Birthing on Country service redesign on maternal and neonatal health outcomes for First Nations Australians: a prospective, non-randomised, interventional trial.Lancet Glob. Health. 2021; 9: e651-e659
- Breastfeeding by Aboriginal mothers in Perth.Nutr. Diet. 2006; 63: 8-14
- Breastfeeding Duration and Residential Isolation amid Aboriginal Children in Western Australia.Nutrients. 2012; 4: 2020-2034
- Birthweights and growth of infants in five Aboriginal communities.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 2000; 24: 124-135
- Initiation and Duration of Breastfeeding in an Aboriginal Community in South Western Sydney.J. Hum. Lact. 2011; 27: 250-261
- Can a child and family health service improve early childhood health outcomes in an urban Aboriginal community?.J. Paediatr. Child Health. 2018; 54: 541-545
- Improving the engagement of Aboriginal families with maternal and child health services: a new model of care.Public Health Res. Pract. 2020;
- Associations of gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes during pregnancy with breastfeeding at hospital discharge and up to 6 months: the PANDORA study.Diabetologia. 2020; 63: 2571-2581
- Poor nutrition from first foods: A cross-sectional study of complementary feeding of infants and young children in six remote Aboriginal communities across northern Australia.Nutr. Diet. 2017; 74: 436-445
Moola S., Munn, Z., Tufanaru, C., Aromataris, E., Sears, K., Sfetcu, R., Currie, M., Qureshi, R., Mattis, P., Lisy, K., & Mu-P-F, editor. Chapter 7: Systematic reviews of etiology and risk.: JBI; 2020.
- Predictors of breastfeeding duration in a predominantly Māori population in New Zealand.BMC Pediatr. 2018; 18: 1
- Prevalence and Factors Affecting Breastfeeding Among Aboriginal Women in Northwestern Ontario..J Obstet. Gynecol. Neonatal Nurs. 2015; 44: 51-68
- American Indian Breastfeeding Attitudes and Practices in Minnesota.Matern. Child Health J. 2008; 12: 46-54
- Factors Affecting Initiation and Duration of Breastfeeding Among Off-Reserve Indigenous Children in Canada.Int. Indig. Policy J. 2019; 10: 1
- Rural-urban differences in breastfeeding initiation in the United States.J. Hum. Lact. 2010; 26: 118-129
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework 2020 summary report.Australian Institute of Health and Welfare,, Canberra2020
- Dietary intake of Aboriginal Australian children aged 6-36 months in a remote community: a cross-sectional study.Nutr. J. 2020; 19: 1-12
- Maternal psychosocial well-being in pregnancy and breastfeeding duration.Acta Paediatr. 2008; 97: 221-225
- Smoking behaviours in a remote Australian Indigenous community: The influence of family and other factors.Soc. Sci. Med. 2008; 67: 1708-1716
- Factors Influencing the Health Behaviour of Indigenous Australians: Perspectives from Support People.PLOS ONE. 2015; 10e0142323
- The impact of caesarean section on breastfeeding initiation, duration and difficulties in the first four months postpartum.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016; 16: 90
- Interventions for promoting the initiation of breastfeeding.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2016;
- Antenatal breastfeeding education for increasing breastfeeding duration.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2016;
The National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation. Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs). 2021. (https://www.naccho.org.au/acchos?hsCtaTracking=8583a101-0de0-4928-ab27-4678e2202539%7C0e1aaf2b-f754-4d70-83f7-1cb7bbb6186a) (accessed 3/11/2021).
- Aboriginal community controlled health organisations address health equity through action on the social determinants of health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia.BMC Public Health. 2020; 20: 1
- Contribution of Aboriginal Community-Controlled Health Services to improving Aboriginal health: an evidence review.Aust. Health Rev. 2018; 42: 218
- Support for increased investment in Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations.Practitioners TRACoG. The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2020
- Rediscovering empowerment with breastfeeding in an urban First Nation's population.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019; 19: 1-11
- Comparing life expectancy of Indigenous people in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States: Conceptual, methodological and data issues.Australian Government, Canberra2011
- Factors associated with the initiation of breast-feeding by Aboriginal mothers in Perth.Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 857-861
- Aboriginal mothers, breastfeeding and smoking.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 2004; 28: 225-228
- The association of infant feeding with parent-reported infections and hospitalisations in the West Australian Aboriginal Child Health Survey.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 2008; 32: 207-215