Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Rights H. Commission. E.O. Bringing Them Home. National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from their Families. Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Canberra1997
J. Atkinson, Trauma Trails, Recreating Song Lines: The Transgenerational Effects of Trauma in Indigenous Australia, Spinifex Press, 2002.
- The healing the past by nurturing the future: cultural and emotional safety framework.J. Indig. Wellbeing. 2020; 5: 38-57
- Breaking the links in intergenerational violence: an emotional regulation perspective.Fam. Process. 2013; 52: 163-178
- Healing the past by nurturing the future: a qualitative systematic review and meta-synthesis of pregnancy, birth and early postpartum experiences and views of parents with a history of childhood maltreatment.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0225441
- Trauma, transgenerational transfer and effects on community wellbeing.in: Purdie N. Dudgeon P. Walker R. Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Wellbeing Principles and Practice. Dulwich Centre Publications, Adelaide2010: 135-144
- Trauma, grief and loss: the vulnerability of Aboriginal families in the child protection system.in: Bennett B. Green S. Gilbert S. Bessarab D. Our Voices: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Work. Palgrave Macmillan, South Yarra2013: 93-113
- Decolonising identity stories: narrative practice through Aboriginal eyes.in: Wingard B. Johnson C. Drahm-Butler T. Aboriginal Narrative Practice: Honouring Storylines of Pride, Strength and Creativity. Dulwich Centre Publications, Adelaide2015: 25-47
- Infant removals: the need to address the over-representation of Aboriginal infants and community concerns of another ‘stolen generation’.Child Abus. Negl. 2019; 90 (Epub 2019/02/16): 88-98https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2019.01.017
- The international trauma questionnaire: development of a self‐report measure of ICD‐11 PTSD and complex PTSD.Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 2018; 138: 536-546
- Complex trauma in children and adolescents: evidence‐based practice in clinical settings.J. Clin. Psychol. 2013; 69: 497-509
- The lifelong effects of early childhood adversity and toxic stress.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e232-e246
- Perinatal and infant mental health and wellbeing.in: Dudgeon P. Milroy H. Walker R. Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Wellbeing Principles and Practice. 2nd. Australian Government Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet/Telethon …, 2014: 337-353
- Complex PTSD: a syndrome in survivors of prolonged and repeated trauma.J. Trauma. Stress. 1992; 5: 377-391
- A developmental approach to complex PTSD: childhood and adult cumulative trauma as predictors of symptom complexity.J. Trauma. Stress. 2009; 22: 399-408
- Pregnancy and childbirth as triggers for abuse memories: Implications for care.Birth. 1992; 19: 222-223
- The mother’s body, the role of pleasure in the mother–infant relationship, and the traumatic risk.Int. Forum Psychoanal. 2021; 30: 129-138https://doi.org/10.1080/0803706X.2021.1946140
- Post‐traumatic stress disorder in the perinatal period: a concept analysis.J. Clin. Nurs. 2017; 26: 3859-3868
- Psychological and psychophysiological considerations regarding the maternal–fetal relationship.Infant Child Dev.: Int. J. Res. Pract. 2010; 19: 27-38
- Past traumatic events: are they a risk factor for high-risk pregnancy, delivery complications, and postpartum posttraumatic symptoms?.J. Women’s Health. 2009; 18: 119-125
- The phenomenon of pregnancy—a psychological view.Ginekol. Pol. 2018; 89: 102-106
- Biological and psychosocial predictors of postpartum depression: systematic review and call for integration.Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol. 2015; 11: 99-137
- Brain plasticity in pregnancy and the postpartum period: links to maternal caregiving and mental health.Arch. Women’s Ment. Health. 2019; 22: 289-299
- Healing the past by nurturing the future—co-designing perinatal strategies for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander parents experiencing complex trauma: framework and protocol for a community-based participatory action research study.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e028397
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander social and emotional wellbeing.in: Dudgeon P. Milroy H. Walker R. Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Wellbeing Principles and Practice. 2. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra2014: 55-68
- “Our culture, how it is to be us”—listening to Aboriginal women about on Country urban birthing.Women Birth. 2019; 32: 391-403
C. Kezelman, P. Stavropoulos, Organisational Guidelines for Trauma-Informed Service Delivery (Updated 2020), Blue Knot Foundation, 2020.
- A Whole Person Approach to Wellbeing: Building Sense of Safety.Routledge, 2020
- Planning Health Promotion Programs: an Intervention Mapping Approach.Jossey-Bass Inc, 2016
- Healing the past by nurturing the future: aboriginal parents’ views of what helps support recovery from complex trauma: indigenous health and well-being: targeted primary health care across the life course.Prim. Health Care Res. Dev. 2021; : 22
- Communicating through stories: experience of the Native American Diabetes Project.Diabetes Educ. 1999; 25: 179-188
QSR International Pty Ltd, NVivo (Version 12). 〈https://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo-qualitative-data-analysis-software/home2018〉.
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual. Res. Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Guidelines for prevention in psychology.Am. Psychol. 2014; 69: 285-296
- Aboriginal social, cultural and historical contexts.in: Dudgeon P. Milroy H. Walker R. Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Wellbeing Principles and Practice. Commonwealth Department of Health, 2014: 3-24
- The role of power in wellness, oppression, and liberation: the promise of psychopolitical validity.J. Community Psychol. 2008; 36: 116-136
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health: an overview.Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Wellbeing Principles and Practice. 2014: 25-38
R. Wilson, Bringing Them Home: A Guide to the Findings and Recommendations of the National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from their Families, 1997.
- Different uses of Bronfenbrenner’s ecological theory in public mental health research: what is their value for guiding public mental health policy and practice?.Soc. Theory Health. 2018; 16: 414-433
- A midwifery model of woman-centred childbirth care–in Swedish and Icelandic settings.Sex. Reprod. Healthc. 2012; 3: 79-87
- An ecological perspective on health promotion programs.Health Educ. Q. 1988; 15: 351-377
- Council of Australian Governments and the Coalition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community-Controlled Peak Organisations National Agreement on Closing the Gap. Australian Government, Canberra2020
Indigenous Allied Health Alliance, National Health Leadership Forum Canberra 2020 [cited 2021 December 12]. Available from: 〈https://iaha.com.au/policies-and-research/position-statements/national-health-leadership-forum/〉.
- ‘No more strangers’: investigating the experiences of women, midwives and others during the establishment of a new model of maternity care for remote dwelling aboriginal women in northern Australia.Midwifery. 2014; 30: 317-323
- Effect of a Birthing on Country service redesign on maternal and neonatal health outcomes for First Nations Australians: a prospective, non-randomised, interventional trial.Lancet Glob. Health. 2021; 9: e651-e659
McLachlan, H.L., Newton, M., McLardie-Hore, F.E., McCalman, P., Jackomos, M., Bundle, G., Kildea, S., Chamberlain, C., Browne, J., Ryan, J. and Freemantle, J., 2022. Translating evidence into practice: Implementing culturally safe continuity of midwifery care for First Nations women in three maternity services in Victoria, Australia. EClinicalMedicine, 47, p.101415. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclinm.2022.101415).
- Facilitating engagement through strong relationships between primary healthcare and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 2016; 40: 535-541
- Indigenous people’s experiences and expectations of health care professionals when accessing care for family violence: a qualitative evidence synthesis.Trauma Violence Abus. 2020; 1524838020961879
- The perspectives of community-based practitioners on preventing baby removals: addressing legitimate and illegitimate factors.Child. Youth Serv. Rev. 2021; 127106126
- Indigenous perspectives on help-seeking for family violence: voices from an Australian community.J. Interpers. Violence. 2021; 36: 10128-10146
- Understanding the Australian Aboriginal experience of collective, historical and intergenerational trauma.Int. Soc. Work. 2019; 62: 1522-1534
- Beyond 2020: addressing racism through transformative indigenous health and cultural safety education.J. Clin. Nurs. 2020;
- A unified call to action from Australian nursing and midwifery leaders: ensuring that Black lives matter.Contemp. Nurse. 2020; 56: 297-308
- Community perspectives of complex trauma assessment for Aboriginal parents: ‘its important, but how these discussions are held is critical’.Front. Psychol. 2020; 11: 2014
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Safety Framework, State Government of Victoria, Melbourne, 2019.
- The power threat meaning framework: an alternative nondiagnostic conceptual system.J. Humanist. Psychol. 2018; 0022167818793289
- The cultural safety journey: an Australian nursing context.Yatdjuligin Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nursing and Midwifery Care. 2014: 51-73
Lowitja Institute, Close the Gap Campaign Report 2022, 2022. Report no.
- Probes toolkits and prototypes: three approaches to making in codesigning.CoDesign. 2014; 10: 5-14