Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women and Birth
Abu Dhabi Open Data Platform, 2019. https://addata.gov.ae/ Accessed 29th August 2022.
- An agenda for midwifery education: advancing the state of the world׳ s midwifery.Midwifery. 2016; 33: 3-6
- Women's awareness of the role of midwives and their preference for health professionals for maternity care: a systematic review.Nurs. Commun. 2022; 6 (e2022027)
- Competence for basic midwifery practice: Updating the ICM essential competencies.Midwifery. 2018; 66: 168-175
Department of Health , 2022. Professional Qualifications Requirements (PQR). https://www.doh.gov.ae/en/pqr/nurses.
Department of Health, 2020a Abu Dhabi WorkforcePlan: Abu Dhabi’s Future Healthcare Workforce https://www.doh.gov.ae/en/investor/abu-dhabi-health-workforce.
Department of Health, 2020b. Healthcare Capacity Master Plan: A Healthy and Safe Abu Dhabi https://www.doh.gov.ae/en/investor/capacity-master-plan.
Emirates News Agency, 2017, Sheikha Fatima launches the National Strategy for Motherhood and Childhood http://wam.ae/en/details/1395302625076 Accessed 30th August 2022.
Forrester, M. , 2008. Changing Maternity in the face of Modernity: an exploration of the factors that influenced the move from home to hospital birth in the indigenous population of the United Arab Emirates between 1960 and 1975. Unpublished Masters Dissertation.
- Woman-centred care during pregnancy and birth in Ireland: thematic analysis of women’s and clinicians’ experiences.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017; 17: 1-11
ICM, 2018. Definition of the Midwife. [Accessed online 14th October 2022] ICM Definitions (internationalmidwives.org).
ICM , 2019. Essential Competencies for Midwifery Practice. International Confederation of Midwives https://www.internationalmidwives.org/assets/files/general-files/2019/10/icm-competencies-en-print-october-2019_final_18-oct-5db05248843e8.pdf.
- Interventions during pregnancy to prevent preterm birth: an overview of Chochrane systematic reviews.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2018; Issue 11 (Art. No.: CD012505)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012505.pub2
Ministry of Health and Prevention, 2022. Scope of Registered Midwives. UAE: MOHP.
- Beyond too little, too late and too much, too soon: a pathway towards evidence-based, respectful maternity care worldwide.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2176-2192
Moussly, R.2010. No Emirati midwives in Abu Dhabi. [Accessed online 14th Oct 2022 No Emirati midwives in Abu Dhabi | Education – Gulf News.
Nafis , 2022. Nafis National Healthcare Program [Accessed online 14th Oct 2022] Nafis | National Healthcare Program Nafis | National Healthcare Program.
- Scaling up care by midwives must now be a global priority.Lancet Glob. Health. 2021; 9: e2-e3
- Midwifery is a vital solution: what is holding back global progress?.Birth. 2019; 46: 396-399
- Midwifery: an executive summary for.Lancet’s Ser. Lancet. 2014; 384: 8
- Midwifery in Middle Eastern and North African countries: a scoping review.Women Birth. 2021; 34: 503-513
- Midwife‐led continuity models versus other models of care for childbearing women.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2016; Issue 4 (Art. No.: CD004667)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004667.pub5
- In pursuit of value-based maternity care.Obstet. Gynecol. 2019; 133: 541-551
- Natl. Strategy Mother. Early Child. 2017; : 2017-2022
- Quality of care for pregnant women and newborns—the WHO vision.BJOG. 2015; 122: 1045
UAE NMC, 2013. UAE Nursing and Midwifery Education Strategy. UAE Nursing and Midwifery Council http://www.uaenmc.gov.ae/en/Publications.aspx.
- International confederation of midwives, World Health Organisation.State of the World’s Midwifery Report. United Nations Population Fund 2021,, New York2021
- Country experience with strengthening of health systems and deployment of midwives in countries with high maternal mortality.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1215-1225
- Mapping integration of midwives across the United States: impact on access, equity, and outcomes.PloS One. 2018; 13 (e0192523)https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone
- Framework for Action: Strengthening Quality Midwifery Education for Universal Health Coverage 2030.World Health Organisation, Geneva2019